[OSM-talk] JOSM will move to Java6

Fri Mar 12 08:07:51 GMT 2010

On 12/03/2010 07:54, John Smith wrote:
> On 12 March 2010 17:50, Frederik Ramm<frederik at remote.org>  wrote:
>> jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com wrote:
>>> If all the code and all the tools we used were to be licensed costly
>>> software, who would pay for OSM?
>> We'd all use Google Map Maker then. Under Safari ;-)
> What about Mapzen under IE? *ducks*

*giggles*

I love open source, really. And I will happily hold forth on how
Potlatch is more open-source than thou thanks to its ultra-permissive
licence (legal-talk is that way ---> ).

But I don't feel I have any right to tell someone else what "freedoms"
they should value. I use a Mac because the freedom to use a computer in
the way that feels right for me is, IMO, more important than the freedom
to modify a load of source code I'm not clever enough to understand. If
you don't like Flash that's great, that's entirely your prerogative. I
don't mind and I promise not to bug you about your chosen editor's
unpermissive licence. But that's my opinion, and this is yours, and
"respectable" doesn't come into it.

Memo to self: really really don't respond to licensing-type arguments
after n pints of Black Rat scrumpy.

cheers
Richard