[OSM-talk] [OSM-dev] GSoC'10

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Mar 12 10:29:12 GMT 2010

Hi,

Al Haraka wrote:
> I am just curious what this sentence is going to mean in the
> future, because "isn't going to fly" sounds slightly dictatorial in my
> mind.  I could be wrong.

Tom has no say about what gets into JOSM and what doesn't, so  his
posting cannot possibly have been "dictatorial" in any way.

But that doesn't change the fact that he is right - any attempt to
create a project-wide ontology is doomed to fail.

The concept of per-user ontologies, or perhaps "tags I use and how I use
them", might not be too bad, and has of course been floated on the lists
every now and then (I think it was RichardF who came up with that about
two years ago in another of those endless Map Features discussions).

Also see Harry Wood's talk from last SOTM, "Community Smoothness".

Bye
Frederik