[OSM-talk] OSM for walkers / hikers - getting it going!

Mike N. niceman at att.net
Fri Mar 12 14:12:18 GMT 2010

>>  Exactly - I'm just at the point where I need a high quality hiking /
>> biking map in a relatively small region in the US.
>
> Maybe http://hikebikemap.de works for you?

I like it as a start; the colors of the main roads are muted which is good.
And I like the map legend which is necessary for visitors to understand the
map.   There are some other items on my wishlist:

   A regional view should highlight regional hike/bike routes.    I like the
dashed footway renderings within a park or between buildings, but the dashes
are lost in the surrounding features for a regional 'greenways trail' for
example.   One way to do this is for any route relation=bicycle/foot/hiking
, render in an 'important color'.  Optionally, use the colour= tag of the
route relation.
   Route planning - choose start / end or manually set waypoints to create a
GPX track that can be downloaded to a navigator.   This would include auto
or public transport routing.
  A complete Garmin map download - I could probable rig this up myself with
the Mkgmap toolchain.