[OSM-talk] OSM for walkers / hikers - getting it going!

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 13:24:41 GMT 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 10:55 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> .. I'm still unclear how one is supposed to
>>> distinguish between a smooth, wide urban footpath and a hiking trail.
>

> have a look at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:sac_scale for
> detailed classification.

So Roy suggests "smoothness" and you suggest "sac_scale". Neither is
really definitive. Whereas all I want is a binary distinction between
a footpath and a hiking trail. There's obviously overlap, but the key
point isn't a physical feature, it's a purpose: a footpath is the
easiest way to walk from A to B with the resources available. A hiking
trail is the most interesting/scenic way.

Very similar goes for the distinction between a cycleway and a mtb
path. A cycleway is designed to get you somewhere. A mtb path is
designed to let you go mountain biking. The smoothest mtb trails are
no different from rough cycleways.

Anyway, how did we get onto this.

Steve