[OSM-talk] Getting 403-Forbidden from my app that WAS on sale onthe appstore

Jeff Spirko spirko at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 19:46:40 GMT 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 2:56 PM, 80n <80n80n at gmail.com> wrote:
> Form the description of True Maps at
> http://www.appstorehq.com/true-offline-mapslite-iphone-144457/app
>
> "- Search and Edit POI. True maps will allow you to search for specific
> places of interest nearby and to even add your owns totally offline. Since
> true maps will interact directly with openstreetmap your POI will also be
> available to everyone!"
>
> This seems like a bit of a dilemma.  On the one hand we want a mass market
> POI editing tool to capture all those long tail contributors, on the other
> hand that's never going to happen if we block any prospective app as soon as
> it starts to become popular.

Sounds like the database maintainers would prefer that the App use
tiles for viewing the map and only log in to get data via the API if
the user wants to edit the map, like the way the Slippy Map works.

-Jeff

> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 9:38 AM, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
>>
>> On 16/03/10 09:35, Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) wrote:#
>>
>> > Then is some further discussion on the same for the API also required
>> > and a
>> > policy, perhaps similar to the format of tiles, established? There are
>> > data
>> > limits for an individual call still so presumably it's just an extension
>> > of
>> > that in words rather than an API limit?
>>
>> It's less about volume and more about what you're doing with the data
>> where the map api is concerned.
>>
>> I mean obviously the intent is to limit the volume of calls, but we've
>> tended to do that by saying that the point is that it should be used as
>> part of an editing cycle where you are fetching data with the intention
>> of changing it rather than just in order to use it in a read only way.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> --
>> Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
>> http://compton.nu/

Jeff Spirko   spirko at gmail.com   spirko at lehigh.edu   WD3V   |=>

The study of non-linear physics is like the study of non-elephant biology.