[OSM-talk] Fwd: mod_cache for OSM tiles?

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri Mar 19 23:23:36 GMT 2010

And to the list as well.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Richard Weait <richard at weait.com>
Date: Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 7:23 PM
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] mod_cache for OSM tiles?
To: Paul Houle <paul at ontology2.com>

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Paul Houle <paul at ontology2.com> wrote:
>    Hi,  I'm using the OSM slippy maps on a site of mine and I'm
> starting to think about loading time and reliability.
>
>    Even though my site is graphically intensive,  I find that OSM tiles
> are usually the last to load.  I'm thinking about using mod_cache or
> something similar to cache the tiles...  Does anyone have experience
> doing this?

Some use tilecache for this.
Mod_tile / renderd quickly render tiles on demand, and serve existing
tiles quickly.
Tirex is a newer entry to the mod_tile / renderd space.
Have a look and see if these are what you seek.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mod_tile
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TileCache
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tirex