[OSM-talk] What do you wish you'd known?

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 21 00:15:39 GMT 2010

* To note everything/anything you have even an inckling is interesting even
if you don't know anyone else mapping it. Because back home you can look up
how people have tagged it, or invent a new tag(s).

* That photo mapping is where the biz is. (I have managed to get audio-clip
mapping working ever).
** To set your camera and GPS to the same time zone and second.

* That I will want to get  strong bicycle as it's an/the ideal mapping
transportation, and a load of inner tubes to go with it.

* To save tracklogs after every hour if using a phone or PDA that might
crash and lose data.

* To always have spare batteries for your spare batteries on you, and to get
in a habbit of a recharging procedure (I still forget to take spares
sometimes, to much fail).

* That this surveying lark contains addictive chemicals, and movements are
happening to make it a controlled drug/activity in some countries.

* That going to a mapping party/event, I may not be shown how to do the
editing stuff that learning stopped me getting involved, but I will meet
part of the great community which will give me motivation, friendships, and
points of contact to ask for help after the event.

A lot of things came after I got into the project, possibly as a result of
discussions I was in. The scene has changed quite a bit.
I have no idea how I discovered the blue plus button, but it annoys me
trying to explain it to others and hope they get it. I have slim memories of
the non-slippy map.

--
Gregory
osm at livingwithdragons.com