[OSM-talk] Administrative boundaries along roads

Jeff Spirko spirko at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 15:39:25 GMT 2010

Hi, all,

Many of the administrative boundaries in my area follow roads (or vice
versa).  (E.g. http://osm.org/go/Zcll6ubE?layers=B000TTF )  It seems
like the TIGER import has a separate list of nodes for the two ways
(one administrative and one road), but the nodes are at identical
locations.  This makes Maplint and Potlatch complain about duplicated
nodes, making it hard to distinguish real map lint from this type.

It seems like the TIGER data for the administrative boundaries is
pretty good, so I don't want to touch those nodes.

What's the best thing to do with this situation:
1.  Leave it as-is.
2.  Combine the nodes so they're not duplicated.  (Do bots sometimes
do this?  How would a person do it in Potlatch?)
3.  Offset the nodes of the road so it follows the same line but no
longer forms map lint.

Best regards,
--
Jeff Spirko   spirko at gmail.com   spirko at lehigh.edu   WD3V   |=>

The study of non-linear physics is like the study of non-elephant biology.