[OSM-talk] What do you wish you'd known?

Giacomo Boschi gwilbor at email.it
Tue Mar 23 19:18:20 GMT 2010

SteveC ha scritto:

> What are the thing or things you know know that you wish you'd known
> when you started with OpenStreetMap?

How can I use the data!

Or, paraphrasing a famous JFK quote: "Tell me not what I can do for OSM,
tell me what can OSM do for me."

When I was a beginner, I didn't know that I could search an address
(Nominatim), I didn't know I could get directions (openrouteservice)
and, until a couple of months ago, I didn't know that I could update a
Garmin GPS with an OSM map.

Now I know that all this stuff is well documented in the wiki and
discussed regularly in the mailing lists, but a beginner is not
interested in browsing the wiki or subscribing a ml. This happens later,
when you have already decided that you like the project and you want to
know more about it.

The "How to use" part of OSM should be accessible from the home page
with a single click.

--
Giacomo Boschi
http://gwilbor.wordpress.com/