[OSM-talk] Editor without relation-support makes sense?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Mar 24 20:45:38 GMT 2010

Tirkon,

Tirkon wrote:
> I found some discussions within OSM, that it would make sense to offer
> an OSM editor especially for beginners. To make it easy enough, they
> should not confuse the beginner with complicated stuff like relations
> and thus not show and support them. But does that make sense?

Not showing (i.e. shielding the user from) relations while secretly
handling them might make sense if the editor does a good job.

It will be much harder to write such an editor than to write an editor
which has a relation editor and forces the user to deal with all the
problems ;-)

Not supporting relations is impossible anyway; the API will not allow
the deletion of a node that is part of a relation.

Bye
Frederik