[OSM-talk] OpenTrailView: StreetView for footpaths and trails

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 24 20:50:45 GMT 2010

On 24 March 2010 13:25, Nick Whitelegg <Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk> wrote:

> >You may say, don't use OTV if you want to be surprised, and you are
> >probably right.
> >So go on and make it. The fun is yours anyway taking the
> >pictures and walking the trail. ;<))
> >You might take a look at http://www.diy-streetview.org/  to
> >get an idea of the required equipment.
>
> TBH I'd prefer it's a low-barrier-to-entry project with less-than-perfect
> (but adequate) panoramas where all you need is a standard camera and the
> ability to use photo-stitching software. Having to cart around lots of
> equipment would rather reduce my own interest and I suspect, others. My
> tests so far seem to suggest that the panoramas generated by basic
> equipment are adequate, though if I am missing something let me know.

I can't remember if this how the guys above do it or if it was someone
else...
The equipment consists of two cameras facing opposite directions, and a
fish-eye lens on each. Some chunks of wood to fix them together, on a pole
so you can just hold it up with one hand, and some mechanism to press the
both shutter buttons at once.
It's inexpensive, but fun if you like DIY and get obsessed with OTV, and
produces about the same quality of panoramas. I can see myself going as far
as sticking my camera on a broom pole, so I have a point to spin on.

--
Gregory
osm at livingwithdragons.com
http://www.livingwithdragons.com