[OSM-talk] Moving to Java 1.6 not so easy to swallow

Aun Johnsen lists at gimnechiske.org
Thu Mar 25 18:31:05 GMT 2010

I am one of those unfortunate Mac users. When I got my Mac (it was a
present, I didn't buy it) Java6 vs Java5 wasn't an issue. Most Java
applets available for me to use at this time was Java5 or even older,
and those few that ran optimally on Java6 was still executable in
Java5. Two years later and the Java applet I use the most suddenly
announces that "within a month we will stop support for Java5". This
is extremely short notice for me. And since I also have been using SVN
version I should be able to compile my own last version. The problem
here is that I am constantly on travel, usually with extremely limited
connections to the internet. For me it would be appreciated that JOSM
was split into another branch, so that we can have JOSM j5 and JOSM j6
side by side. I know that it will be some extra work on the
developers, but that will allow for fairly up to date versions of
both. As with all other software that are branching in this way we
don't expect all versions to be equally updated, but it gives us that
cannot change to the newer branch more time.

The reason Mac doesn't implement Java6 is not the issue here. Maybe
Mac have reasons for not implementing Java6, maybe they know secrets
about the release of a future Java7. None of us are really in a
position to know. Anyway I am not able just upgrade to Java6 at the
moment, and do not know when I will have time to get a working Java6
(Sun Java6 not available, no knowledge about other versions java).