[OSM-talk] Documentation on Editing Relations

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Sat Mar 27 23:58:30 GMT 2010

On 27 Mar 2010, at 22:20, Graham Jones wrote:

> Hi,
> I have always tried to avoid using relations (never really accepted that is better than adding route= tags to ways, and they seem to complicate things quite a lot....), but I am trying to tidy up some long distance footpaths that have been done as relations.

Once you start using the relations and get used to them, you'll never look back.

> The concept of relations is fine, but I am really struggling to find the instructions on how to edit them properly without breaking anything - for example:
>    If I know a relation number, how do I load it (I don't mind which editor!) - the bit of countryside I am editing does not include it, so it does not appear in the JOSM relations list, but I have a number from a Wiki page.

If you have a recent version of JOSM you can go "File" > "Download Object…" and select "relation from the popup menu, and then enter the id of the relation. If you have the remote control plugin installed and JOSM is running at the time, you can click the "j" link beside most of the relation links on the wiki.

> I have pretty much worked out how to add ways to relations using JOSM's relation editor, but haven't quite worked out how to re-order them, apart from doing it manually - is this possible?

Generally it doesn't matter about the order of elements in a relation (at the moment, though i'm sure the Germans will disagree).

Shaun