[OSM-talk] Boundary relation with >5000 members?

sylvain letuffe liste at letuffe.org
Sun Mar 28 21:52:21 BST 2010

Hi,

Julio Costa Zambelli wrote:

> It seams reasonable to surround the pieces of land under some local
> government jurisdiction  (...)

I do agree with you. In France, we even created a relation to represent land
boundaries and another one  with territorial waters.

Julio Costa Zambelli wrote:

> If it is not the "right" way to do it or there is a better way to do it,
> please let me know.

I think the idea is ok in concept, however it faces a few technical problems
:
- you reach easily the API max members limit
(Raising it is not an option for performance reasons)
- Even manipulation of such relations under 2000 members is a hard work with
traditional editors

Here are my views on an hypotetical solution :
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/boundary_segment

And what we did in france :
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/France_boundary_pyramidal_construction