[OSM-talk] [Talk-br] Wikimapa what is it?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Mar 29 10:14:06 BST 2010

Hi,

Stefan de Konink wrote:
> The goals of the OSMF are to facilitate the project. So it could/should
> be a goal to look out for worldwide opportunities, not limited to
> getting sponsors for a single event.

Maybe, but I am happy with OSMF keeping a low profile. Before the last
election to the OSMF board, lofty plans were circulated how to make OSMF
into a strong organisation with 10.000 members and hire full-time
personnel for fundraising and management. I opposed these ideas because
I feel that such an organisation would quickly turn into a self-feeding
behemoth that is more at home in the corporate world than in OSM.

If someone wants to approach sponsors on a local or national level,
that's no problem and I am sure that OSMF will give them the support
they need. (We run a similar setup here in Germany where FOSSGIS e.V.
will help out anyone who needs a "legal contact" or someone to sign a
contract - but they don't, on their own, go searching for sponsors.)

If, on the other hand, there is nobody who wants to do the hard work of
finding sponsors, then why should OSMF - they're only people like you
and me. Ask them to do things that nobody in the project wants to do
himself and you are inevitably asking to set up an organisation that
uses money to pay people to do the jobs that nobody in the project wants
to do.

Certainly a valid way of advancing the project, but in my eyes it
carries the danger of, little by little, taking the whole project out of
the hands of hobbyists. Before too long, we'll be a membership
organisation where central command runs the GPS vans and individual
participation is reduced to paying a membership fee and receiving a
bi-monthly full-colour membership magazine.

Bye
Frederik