[OSM-talk] Boundary relation with >5000 members?

Julio Costa Zambelli julio.costa at openstreetmap.cl
Mon Mar 29 16:25:42 BST 2010

Hello,

Frederik got the idea almost completely right. The coastline is not the
Chilean maritime border but just the regional and municipal border. This is
a matter of jurisdiction since the authorities in the land are not the same
as in the sea. But we DO have territorial waters, but those are part of the
country as a whole and not territorial waters of a certain region or
municipality.

The extension of certain land borders into the sea, is just to signal (to
the people watching the map, without any other data source) that the islands
in one side of those lines are part of the X region, and the islands in the
other side of the line are part of the Y region. (Examples:
http://osm.org/go/MIvRLK- and http://osm.org/go/JczwGC-).

Regards,

Julio Costa
OpenStreetMap Chile