[OSM-talk] POI-searching application

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Tue Mar 30 05:03:23 BST 2010

Does anyone know of an application for BlackBerry phones that allows one
to search for OSM POIs of a certain type within a certain distance from
a given location, or alternately of a web site that allows such
searches?  I know of some sites that allow one to search for a POI by
name, but I am looking for the type of search where you know what type
of POI you are interested in, but not its name or exact location.  This
would allow a version of  the location-based searches that various
commercial applications and services (such as Google) offer.  Ideally,
you could supply the content of more than one tag, so as to narrow down
the results.

I have a mapping program on my BlackBerry, BigTinCan Mapper, that will
display OSM tiles.  Unfortunately, it doesn't have the type of search
capability I am looking for, and most POIs only show up at maximum zoom,
where only a small geographical area is visible on-screen.  This makes
it not particularly practical for large-scale POI searches.

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com