[OSM-talk] Google WMS: is this legal?

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 30 09:53:58 BST 2010

Definitely not. See the last note on the page:
It's been a year since I've done anything with Google WMS, but I still get
so much hate-mail about this service.. Here's what they want me to say..
"Adhere to the Google Maps terms and conditions and don't trace data into
Open Street Map.."

Yet in his instructions he is clearly making the primary aim to use it in
JOSM and trace information. He could keep the page and program up there but
should put warnings (especially at the top of the page) to say it is
for experimentation or personal(private) use and not to upload to the OSM
servers.

On 30 March 2010 01:28, simone gadenz <s.gadenz at geologyx.it> wrote:

> I have just come across this WMS service providing google maps background
> for OSM editing. Is it legal?
>
> http://www.peterdamen.com/GoogleWMS/
>
> Cheers

Gregory