[OSM-talk] OSM composer not open source?

Sat May 1 07:52:16 BST 2010

jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com wrote:
 > Does OSM have any guidelines about software that is hosted
 > on the wiki? Can people just make software under any license
 > and then put it on the wiki for free advertising ?

It is not in any sense "hosted" on the wiki. If it were hosted on OSMF
servers (which I don't believe it is), the server would be dev, and this
policy would apply:
	http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Dev_Server_Account_Policy

It is not even "advertised" on the wiki. Information != advertising. The
city of London, for example, is mentioned on the wiki even though there
are presumably parts of London which are not open source.

openstreetmap.de is not AFAIK an OSMF server. talk-de would be a more
sensible place to discuss openstreetmap.de.

(FWIW I have no idea what OSM Composer is.)

 > Can I advertise anything I want on the wiki? I know that flossk
 > our group in Kosovo has guidelines on non free software

Good for your group in Kosovo. Maybe the fact that "flossk" has "FLOSS"
in the name, and OSM doesn't, might give you a clue there. OSM is an
open data project, not a free software project.

cheers
RIchard