[OSM-talk] OSM composer not open source?

jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Sat May 1 11:32:00 BST 2010

I agree with you on many points,

1. Yes, of course the data should be free to be used however people
want. (in accordance with the restrictions on derived works). There
can be no coupling of data and software. that would be evil. There
should be no GPLED wire formats or the like.

2. The Software should be free, and I have no problems with the mix of
licenses that I see in OSM. It is fine that some people want to use
different licenses, and everyone has their own reasons. Ideally you
should be able to use the software for propriety data and creative
commons data.

But there is also another aspect, and that is the websites and the
policies of usage of them.

My idea is pretty simple, if you want to have propriety software,
please host it somewhere else. If you cannot host it on any of the
free software hosting sites because you want to have a restrictive
license, then please host it on a normal site, but you will have to
pay for bandwidth or have some type of advertising etc. There are many
webpages for hosting your propriety data and files.

It is however confusing to see propriety software being hosted on some
site with a name like *.openstreetmap.* .

thanks,
mike