[OSM-talk] Philosophy about Autorouting for Cyclists and new key class:bicycle

Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com
Mon May 3 20:12:55 BST 2010

On 03.05.2010 19:29, Richard Mann wrote:
> I think routers would be better served if we identify good through
> routes (ie the equivalent of highway=primary for motorists), and
> record them as relations, perhaps
> "network=lcn+status=unofficial+signposted=no". But Andy's a strict
> objectivist, which rather gets in the way of documenting this sort of
> approach.
>
> Richard
>
> 2010/5/3 Felix Hartmann<extremecarver at googlemail.com>:

Well that is a second topic we should attack. Say for Mountainbiking
official routes are mostly for trekking bikes, and not for
mountainbikers. That is the reason that on gps-tour.info and other
portals, Mountainbiking is the leading sport for tracks. Furhtermore in
many countries mountainbiking is troubled by legally gray legislation,
where it makes fun (Austria, Germany, parts of Italy, ....). For street
cycling routes are usally nice, but for mtbiking I couldn't care less of
what is signposted. Additionally from legislation if you signpost a
route, usually you are legally responsible for accidents if road
conditions are bad. Hence noone want to signpost routes, because it
would be too expensive to keep care of the ways and you have to pay
expensive insurance (that is at least the case in Austria). So even
places that make loads of advertisments for mountainbiking, will only
officially signpost very few routes but put up descriptions of route
proposals on their webpages.

As I laid out, highway=primary is also subjective only. But this
subjectivity has manifested in most peoples minds.

My actual position on this is, I will write a wiki page, with a note to
say bug off people against unofficial routes (because for mountainbiking
they will in a matter of days be largely more than signposted routes),
we will tag them route:unofficial:mtb=name and eveyone should give their
favourite routes a hefty go. People are much more interested in nice
routes than in difficulty, but according to tagwatch more than 25.000
ways have mtb:scale information, compared with maybe 50 mtb routes.

If in OSM we really want to get in more mountainbikers, we have to start
with unofficial routes. I will think about it for the night, and put up
a wiki page tomorrow, put some notices on this on the big forums
(hopefully they will get ~5000 pageviews, put them in my feedburner
newsletter (1200 recipients) and as of next Friday render unofficial routes.

Once we have more than 500 unofficial routes (I'ld say this takes no
more than 14 days), I will take out official routes form my maps, except
if they are labelled with additional information to make sure they are
not a trekking bike route labelled as mtb route.

If someone starts kicking them out, we could take out their submissions
using a bot if they really feel like starting an edit war. It won't be
much worse than in the Russian military discussion, will it?

I don't give a damn what Andy or some other people say. For me the only
rule in OSM and that counts, is that as long as you're not destructing
the work of others (like say you put in paragliding routes that make
editing a pain for everyone else) or largely irrelevant data that
clutters the database so it becomes unusable, just let them do it (hey,
in Austria we likely still have 20% of data junk from plan.at, and I
don't even want to start about the crap data in the USA). The amount of
information is nothing compared to all the remarks by bots and editors
or on imports. And the benefit of getting more Mtbikers is huge, as
hikers will never map the outdoors thoroughly, they are simply too slow
and don't get in deep enough to the backcountry. Also for them cost of
maps is not so important, as they are usually fine with 1-2 maps for a
week. A mountainbiker doing a transalp, on the other hand, either buys
20-30 paper maps (not realistic), uses a copy of some Garmin maps he
"finds" on the net (the forums about where to get Garmin maps have
probably two to three times the traffic compared to forums with legal
talk about Garmin GPS), downloads tracks from gpsies, gps-tour.info and
Co, or and this is increasing steadily now, uses OSM maps (guessed 95%
on Garmin GPS).

The big problem is, that there are very few mountainbikers on the ML or
Wiki. Most of them got into OSM because they used the maps. One year ago
the search for "Openstreetmap" in the huge French "Velo Vert" forum (I
think it is amongst the top 5 sport online forums worldwide if judged by
either traffic and registered users) and it turned out 1 single topic
(and no the search was working, I rechecked with google. Mountainbikers
got on very late, because 2 years ago it was openSTREETmap, and only
once streets got covered, people really started to show interest to map
the outdoors. Still nowadays we lack a lot compared to official maps
that is needed for orientation, and their is ONE single point why we got
so many mountainbikers. And that is specific information like mtb:scale
AND autorouting on Garmin maps.

I mean if we need to win a vote on the wiki because someone thinks to
have a vote, we will win it, because I am sure with not much effort we
can mobilise 1000-2000 people to put down their votes if we make some
drastic announcements on German, Austrian and Italian MTB forums (there
is a nice example of a much smaller request for help on JOSM preset list
that I started...). But I would prefer to not go down that way. Just
like people are raging about wiki fiddlers and loose their interest, I
think many are against the objectivity is everything fiddlers, that
simply don't realise that most of the information in OSM is subjective.