[OSM-talk] Philosophy about Autorouting for Cyclists and new key class:bicycle

Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com
Tue May 4 08:37:47 BST 2010

On 04.05.2010 00:00, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Felix Hartmann wrote:
>
>> Sadly though many people in OSM are not able to leave their small
>> focussed mind and cannot espace their caged mind and try to use a
>> motorist perspective to do bicycle autorouting (e.g. CycleStreets
>> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/CycleStreets>  or
>> Cycle_routes/cyclability
>> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Cycle_routes/cyclability>).
>>
> This is perhaps the most offensive thing I have ever read on these
> mailing lists, and I think you owe CycleStreets in particular - and
> those in OSM involved in cycle campaigning in general - an apology.
>
> Richard

I think they should rather feel honoured. They do good work, but in my
opinion they should not accept that all data is motorist focussed, but
also attack problems on how to make the data more usable for autorouting
from a purely bicycle focussed point of view. I have laid this out from
the top in context, and I don't consider it as offensive at all. From
the standpoint that bicycle routing needs own tags, their approach is
wrong/not comprehensive enough. They give a good example of trying hard
to achieve the goal of nice routes, but as laid out in my opinion, will
never reach that goal without changing focus.