[OSM-talk] Months-old vandalism needs to be taken care of

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Tue May 4 12:09:45 BST 2010

In southern Illinois -
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=37.777&lon=-88.689&zoom=10&layers=B000FTF
- user bhj867 has added a number of new highways, most notably the
motorways at Murphysboro, Carbondale, Marion, and Harrisburg, and the
trunk from Eldorado to New Haven. But it appears that these are fake;
no such highways have been built. A Google search for "Little Egypt
Expressway", the name given to said motorways, gives no results, and
neither do more general searches such as Marion Illinois bypass or
Eldorado New Haven 141. (Major new highways like these would be
covered by the news if nothing else.) None of them show up on Illinois
Department of Transportation maps -
http://www.dot.state.il.us/maps.html - as existing or proposed. (The
small IL 13 trunk bypass of downtown Harrisburg, also added by bhj867,
has been built, though I wouldn't trust the interchanges.)

On April 28 I contacted bhj867 through OSM with a simple question:
does the Little Egypt Expressway have another name, since I can't find
anything about it under that name? He hasn't replied or edited since
then. Concurrent with the sending of this message I am asking him to
respond to the accusations and identify precisely which of his
contributions are vandalism. If he does not do so, I would presume
there is nothing to do but revert all his edits. If he does, the
vandalism needs to be reverted, and there have definitely been changes
to some of the existing and new ways since his edits. I will contact
these lists if he does respond.

I am unable to do this reversion. I am bringing this here because I
cannot take care of the cleanup by myself, and any such cleanup that I
would be forced to do if nobody helps would be incomplete and probably
mess things up further.