[OSM-talk] Philosophy about Autorouting for Cyclists and new key class:bicycle

Anton Martchukov anton at martchukov.com
Tue May 4 21:12:48 BST 2010

On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 10:19:39AM +0200, Jean-Marc Liotier wrote:

> After fifteen years of riding across Paris, I have developed a pretty
> good mental model of the city. I would not be capable of describing my
> routing algorithm offhand, but it features (in decreasing order of
> objectivity) distances, elevations, surfaces, waviness, congestion,
> shopping opportunities, motorists behavior and the likelihood of pretty

That's the things that should be mapped - the facts.

Recently I was thinking about that it may be possible to create a program
that will calulate a cycling route for you based on those facts from the
database and your preferences. Maybe the result maybe rated
by the users and those rates are used in calculations.

As a cyclist myself I understand the reason for such a
proposal, but such marking will be highly subjective and I
would prefer to have more objective facts about my route in
the database and then make my decision, some automatic tools
may help me with this.

--
Anton Martchukov                     http://www.martchukov.com
0xFC4FBF28  96BC 3DAB 231A 7FCC 4F49  D783 9A69 65C1 FC4F BF28