[OSM-talk] Russians at it again

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Fri May 7 00:12:08 BST 2010

My opinion is that the Russian issue has nothing to do with freedom of speech.

I suspect that if you ask the average Russian if it is a good thing
that some of their citizens are submitting the locations of suspected
military installations to a database in the United Kingdom, they will
say no. Just think of all the misconceptions that must still exist
around Francis Gary Powers, the U2 flights and the spy satellites.

You can say that if their media was free, then these misconceptions
will disappear, but it's wrong. The US has one of the highest levels
of freedom of speech and a fairly decent school system. Yet it quite
easy to find fault with their thinking: My personal favourite is how
bad their tax system is, but I know many of the members on this list
will immediately think of the election of George W Bush.

--
Also note that the Russian issue is not limited to Russian law, i.e.
if there is a law against mapping military installations. In many

My advice to Russians is to be careful. If you want to show your
unhappiness with your government, OSM is the wrong battle.

I know. I have a very long list of reasons to be unhappy with my government.