[OSM-talk] Different tile numbers in MapTiler than other tile sets

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Tue May 11 18:19:25 BST 2010

Andy Allan <gravitystorm <at> gmail.com> writes:

> We've been ignoring Open Source GIS standards since forever, because
> they generally suck. Note the lack of WMS and/or WFS-T running on any
> of our servers

There is for sure place for both the native OSM systems and OGC standard
services. Actually the difference is not always so big. For example the whole
Mapnik rendering chain is just plain GIS stuff once a subset of OSM data and
tags are first imported into PostGIS database with osm2pgsql. After running WMS
and WFS services with OSM data for couple of years now I would say that are
both very usable. However, free tagging and geometries with topology are both
valuable features in OSM and they cannot be handled with OGC simple feature
model.

> This reminds me of sitting around with various OSGeo+OCG people at
> FOSS4G in Cape Town, with them all berating their own standards for
> being overcomplicated and impossible to implement! We've got nothing
> to be ashamed of by focussing on doing things better.

Well, WFS and WFS-T are indeed a bit tricky and developers have had different
interpretations about what the standard says. However, the situation is much
better now than couple of years ago, and learning to master WFS if not not any
harder than learning to tag OSM cycleways or how to edit advanced multipolygons
and big route relations withour breaking them.