[OSM-talk] new logo

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Thu May 13 23:27:17 BST 2010

I do agree that the current logo is too much and has problems scaling down
to favicon uses or being used in som abstract forms (e.g. limited colours).

It's worth looking at the OSMF entries and the Discussion (on the talk page)
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/Logo

<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/Logo>If a fresh view/analysis
was presented as a talk (although aren't talks getting arranged now?) then I
would suggest it goes at the end of a section of talks.
That way raised points could then be discussed over informal conversations,
maybe during the lunch break or something. Everyone could confirm the most
important points for the OSM and OSMF logos and look at entries given, maybe
with some sketches added based on points the discussion brings up. We could
then have a quick vote at the end of the break on the selection coming out
of the discussions.

We have to be aware that if we make a democratic process then it has to be a
suitable democratic process and probably include all OSMF members allowing
them time to vote without attendance.
Alternatively (and my suggestion) is we just have a committee make choice,
the committee is whoever joins the debate during the SOTM break rather than
stuffing their face and talking to other people. For those that can't
attend, they can make comments on the wiki in advance or watch the web cast
and irc/twitter comments to Girona.

On 13 May 2010 22:44, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/5/13 SteveC <steve at asklater.com>:
> >
> > On May 13, 2010, at 1:50 PM, Robert Martinez wrote:
> >
> >> What exactly would you expect to be the talk about?
> >
> > Explain in detail why you feel the logo needs help using examples, and
> show how you think it can be improved / replaced.
>

> Although I really like the actual logo because it tells much about the
> project, I somehow also agree that it is not the top of style
> (especially the handle of the lense and the extensive use of color).
> Despite some comments here scaling _is_ an issue for logos  as well as
> contrast - and ours is not very good at both. Personally I really like
> the mapzen logo [1] to give an example (might be also problematic for
> scaling, might need different versions for different scales, but it is
> estetically good because of the reduced color set).
>

> cheers,
> Martin
>
> [1] http://mapzen.cloudmade.com/images/mapzen/mapzen-logotype.png

Gregory