[OSM-talk] new logo

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Fri May 14 02:43:41 BST 2010

On 14 May 2010 09:24, Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does McDonalds have a burger in their logo?
> Does Nike have a shoe in their logo?
> Does IBM have a computer in their logo?

Logos of 2 out of the 3 listed above have something to do with the
business name, even if it isn't to do with products they sell, also
IBM did punch card machines before they did mainframes, although these
days they make most of their money from services, not sales of
hardware.

Logos and branding can go one of two ways, a non-identifiable name
like google that doesn't mean anything related to the product they
sell, or OpenStreetMap and which is related to the product.

> IMHO the only good thing about the current logo is that it is the current logo.

While it might not scale down for things like site icons, I actually
don't mind the current logo, it incorporates the fact that there is
bits behind the rendering...