[OSM-talk] Quarry or construction?

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Fri May 14 10:58:43 BST 2010

On Fri, 14 May 2010, Steve Bennett wrote:
> Can someone offer some tips on how to distinguish a quarry from a
> construction site? They seem to look pretty similar from the air -
> lots of dirt and vehicle tracks, sometimes piles of dirt.
>
> Eg: http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-37.946025,145.093174&z=16&t=h&nmd=20100416
>
> (Note, I'm looking for general tips, not a determination on that
> single instance)
>
> Steve

curved vehicle tracks suggest quarry
presence of straight lines which suggest buildings under construction
area with large pooled water with copper-ish discolouration suggests quarry

i'd check council minutes for the area and see if you can use a search engine
to find what this land is used for
Even if you get he street names off another map.