[OSM-talk] Cyclopath wiki bicycle map

Reid Priedhorsky reid at umn.edu
Sun May 16 19:18:48 BST 2010

Steve Bennett wrote:

> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 5:34 AM, Reid Priedhorsky <reid at umn.edu> wrote:
>> Anyway, I mostly wanted to say hi and let you all know we are here. If
>> you have any questions, ask and I will reply here on the list.
>
> Hi Reid. Just wondering if/when this project will expand outside
> Minnesota? Also, and I haven't really been following this thread, how
> does it integrate with OSM, and could it integrate better? Seems a
> pity to collect information twice...

Hi Steve,

Short answer, we have active plans to expand and should have some news
within the next few weeks. The model we are following is the Craigslist
"island" model, i.e. focusing on adding metro areas and regions one by
one (as opposed to expanding in a big circle from Minneapolis).

Currently, we do not integrate with OSM at all, and I agree with you. In
terms of data sharing OSM to Cyclopath, we are leery of the OSM
licensing mess and hesitate to get involved. The other way round would
work fine (a previous poster gave our data license as CC, but actually
we have broad freedom to share the data under general openness goals).

I'd also be interested in how we might move towards sharing tool chains
and things. I believe the key issues here might be data complexity (we
have a lot more types of features and relationships than just ways) and
all the fiddly little choices that are made differently between two
independent projects.

Reid