[OSM-talk] Extra zoom level needed?

pavithran pavithran.s at gmail.com
Mon May 17 17:44:30 BST 2010

On 17 May 2010 17:32, Gregory <nomoregrapes at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Now a lot of places are full of pro-mappers, we are doing house numbers,
> shops, football pitch lines...
> Do we need an extra zoom level?

YES and I was thinking of posting about it but waited because I want
to learn about simple tiles generation for small area using osmarender
(where I could set my own zoom level and was suggested by amm at diary
http://bit.ly/8Z6ieY ) . Openstreetmap could enrich the map experience
like never before, now that some experienced mappers have started
mapping shops inside a shopping mall .

It definitely makes mapping easy in developing areas where most of the
shops are situated side by side in a small area which is in contrast
to UK/european shops which occupy large areas .

Here is a small Tale of two shops : One nice lane in a bazaar of a
small town I found two bakeries . One lies almost opposite to other .
The nice bakery is called 'Taj bakery'  other one is 'Golden Bakery '
Mapnik in a lower zoom level shows it as Golden bakery . I actually
zoomed to a higher zoom level witha hope to see both bakeries .
Unfortunately it could show only golden bakery :( Seeing it with data
only shows the POI .  I stopped mapping all the bazaars because Indian
streets unfortunately are constructed as bazaars with sometimes
collection of similar selling item. And I am forced to NOT map
selectively some shop when I am mapping those bazaars . Selecting some
shop as important and some shop as not important is very daunting task
:(  Higher population areas have close knit shops I am wondering why
someone has not demanded for detailed mapping in those areas.

Coming to extra processing power & bandwidth  I think its time to move
ahead . I think that atleast osmarender which has a lower zoom level
when compared to mapnik and should immediately set to mapnik  zoom
level ( just a matter of personal liking towards osmarender )

--
pavithran sakamuri
http://look-pavi.blogspot.com