[OSM-talk] place=isolated_dwelling approved - adding to mapfeatures

Aun Johnsen lists at gimnechiske.org
Thu May 20 23:34:00 BST 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 5:51 PM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/5/19 Aun Johnsen <lists at gimnechiske.org>:
>> How to tag Norwegian named farms making part of a "grend" which I
>> would have tagged as hamlet? They are not isolated dwellings as they
>> are not isolated, just parts of the larger unit.
>

> how much distance there is required to be "isolated" depends surely on
> the cultural context, but how I understand your mail, there is one
> place, that is the grend, and this place is the hamlets which consists
> of the single farms. In this case IMHO neither place=farm nor
> isolated_dwelling would be appropriate.

Implying a distance of isolation for isolated dwelling would imply
that there should be a tagged for unisolated_dwelling? A grend
generally consists of 4 to 20 farms, for example where I grew up, the
grend Høgset, which is made up of the farms Skoåkrå, Iverstua,
Oppistua, Røysan, Nessa and Langnessa. Each of these farms is again
one to three residencial buildings plus farm buildings such as barn,
heyloft, equipment garrages, etc. The houses of each farm is generally
located around the farm yard, which can be near the edge or near the
center of the farm. It can happen that two or tree farm yards are
close to each other (like the case of Nessa and Langnessa in my
grend). Each of the farms have unique names in most of Norway. (I live
about 10000 km away from this place, that is probably the reason that
this data is not available in the database)

>> How to tag Brazillian Fazendas, they are farms that can consits of as
>> many as 20 buildings, with living barracks for season workers and
>> factory like buildings for pre-processing of their harvests.
>

> I'd suggest that the Brazilians decide this, but I'd probably tag them
> as Hamlets. Seasonal stuff is generally difficult to tag, but I'm
> assuming that there live all year long also quite some people,
> otherwise I'd go for isolated_dwelling.

As I am part of the Brazilian community than I can accordingly take
part in that decicion. A fazenda is not a hamlet, there are lots of
hamlets in Brazil, that are places with 10 to 500 inhabitants (loosely
defined) and marked on local maps as such, fazendas are different. You
can probably argue that it could be tagged with village, but that have
a different definition, and pushing villages to town will not solve
this as that would push towns to city and city to something else,
maybe metropol?

>> How to tag Brazillian Sitios, they are small farms or groups of
>> houses, usually very isolated.
>

> depends on what the "group" is, how big, etc.

By group I mean anything with more than 2 buildings, a Sitio can be a
collection of small cottages, or an actual farm, and can be permanent
or only seasonal.

>> For the first I would use place=farm on the named farms, making them
>> part of place=hamlet
>

> what do you mean by "making them part of". What about a farm in the
> city: would you tag it with place=farm? I'd actually not tag anything
> place=farm, place=mill, etc., but use place for human settlements, and
> something else for the use (e.g. landuse, building, ...)
>

>> The second I would call place=farm, they are not hamlets as often only
>> one familly live there permanently, though there can be more than 100
>> workers in the harvest seasons
>

> difficult because of the seasonal aspect, but as it is quite some
> people, they are probably important enough not to tag them as very
> small (isolated_dwelling).

This is a good reason to keep the farm tag and not deprecate it.

When it should be tagged farm and when to tag it isolated_dwelling
should be up to each country to define, German conditions definitely
doesn't apply all over the world.