[OSM-talk] Help to import Rio de Janeiro city data to OSM - misaligned shapefiles

Arlindo Pereira openstreetmap at arlindopereira.com
Sat May 22 22:51:50 BST 2010

Hi,

in the end, after searching for a couple of hours, I managed to split a
little part of the 400MB file and open it on JOSM to take a look:

$ java -Xmx1048m -cp "osmosis-0.35/osmosis.jar:osmosis-0.35/lib/default/*"
org.openstreetmap.osmosis.core.Osmosis --read-xml-0.5 enableDateParsing=no
file=Quadras.osm --migrate --bounding-box top=-22.92297 left=-43.18026
bottom=-22.92849 right=-43.17241 completeWays=yes completeRelations=yes
--write-xml file=teste-catete.osm

As expected, it's a file with the blocks ("quadras") structure. How do you
think it could be imported into OSM, if useful at all? I mean, we map roads
and the buildings that are on the blocks, but not the blocks itself. Just to
exemplify, a place near of where I live:

http://osm.org/go/OVc0m5mwC--

And what the shapefile provided me:

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/2793/capturadetelajavaopenst.png

Perhaps if I manually import those polygons to OSM with some
landuse=residential|comercial tag and draw roads between them manually? Any
ideas?

Thank you guys, you're helping a lot. I'm very thankful and hopeful we will
have a good and free map of Rio soon. :)

Cheers,
Arlindo Pereira