[OSM-talk] Detailed tagging scheme for railways - India

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sat May 22 23:34:58 BST 2010

On Sun, 23 May 2010, Roland Olbricht wrote:
> - railway=halt is at least in Europe already frequently used with a
> different  meaning: "station" designates stations where trains can begin
> or terminate. "halt" means (usually smaller) stations where trains only
> stop but legally can't begin or end. To make things worse, most mappers
> map either all stations as "station" or they map all small stations
> (regardless of their legal status) as "halt". You have a clear definition
> of the feature (not regularly served), thus I'd strongly encourage you to
> use a different value for it.

Ahh, interesting
Station in Au means it has a platform, and implies an office, a permanent
employee and hopefully a toilet as well.
Halt means there is no platform, you get to climb down from the train, and
have to pre-arrange stopping in most places. You do not expect to be able to
buy a ticket, find a toilet or have any assistance from the local employee.