[OSM-talk] closedstreetmap.org

Jaak Laineste jaak.laineste at gmail.com
Mon May 24 15:38:26 BST 2010

2010/5/20 Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> It could be used for a special OSM slippy map of closed streets, e.g.:
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mennonot/2602625089/
>> ;-)
>> Pieren
>
> You may be only kidding, but I just spent an hour dodging construction
> traffic here in Minneapolis. This would be great and incredibly useful for
> the general public. If we exposed a simple API for municipalities to specify
> which roads or road segments are under construction or closed, I bet they'd
> be happy to send in data. They get frustrated when people drive on their
> under construction roads, too!

Righ, the issue itself is a very serious and relevant thing. Any other
supporters? It might be started as a wiki page. Maybe it could be a
bot which sets and un-sets tags road=construction (and maybe some
more) to OSM database in more data source-friendly way. I just don't
imagine road authorities to use plain potlach or JOSM to post "today's
works" every morning to us. And a special rendering layout, very
similar to the recent "routing bugs" layout from CloudMade.

I'm reading talk-list once a month or so, please email me directly.

Jaak