[OSM-talk] Yahoo Maps to be provided by Nokia

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Mon May 24 21:17:12 BST 2010

Can you point out some specific road names that Yahoo have copied from OSM?
Following those links to the zoomed out area I am only drawn to roads which
are only in Yahoo.

If Yahoo are copying OSM then I believe (without having attribution) they
are in breach of OSM terms regardless of what they give us. Nobody has the
ability to offer OSM without  attribution.

On 24 May 2010 21:04, Aun Johnsen <lists at gimnechiske.org> wrote:

> But if Yahoo is to withdraw the right to trace their satelite images,
> than their usage of OSM map data can be a breach of the CC-BY-SA
> copyright on OSM.
>
> Yes, Yahoo maps uses OSM data to correct/extend their caverage, at
> least in certain areas:
> http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=-20.688081&lon=-40.53262&zoom=14
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-20.6881&lon=-40.5326&zoom=13&layers=B000FTF
> Some of the minor connecting roads around Guarapari is surveyd by me
> and appeared on the yahoo map a few weeks later. Some road names have
> been rendered only after I entered them in OSM, and some roads or
> parts of roads have changed category after I have surveyd them for
> OSM.
>
> A[]

Gregory
osm at livingwithdragons.com