[OSM-talk] We need urgently a clarification between place locality, farm and isolated_dwelling

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Fri May 28 22:49:34 BST 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good to see that nobody cares about the wiki inconsistencies of 'locality'.

I didn't reply because your original email didn't ask a clear
question. Are you proposing something in particular? I'll try to
comment nonetheless:

>> at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Locality:

I would delete the first sentence: "All current place tags are for
either populated areas, or for larger areas of County sized or
bigger."

>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:place :

Seems consistent.

>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features#Places

Seems consistent.

>> place=isolated_dwelling:
>> at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features#Places
>> - missing

So?

>> place=farm
>>
>> at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:place:
>> - "A distinct identified farm at the node so tagged. In some countries the
>> official type of a residential area smaller than a hamlet". Oh dear. But is
>> it not "isolated_dwelling" now for "residential area smaller than a hamlet"
>> ?
>>
>> at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:place%3Dfarm
>> - "A farm can be a part of a human settlement (place=* like hamlet,
>> village, town) that have buildings and land for farming, usually a few
>> central buildings around a landuse=farmyard with landuse=farmland or
>> landuse=meadow surrounding it. If the farm is not part of a bigger
>> settlement (regarding structure not administration) and the farm and
>> comprising settlement itself is not bigger than defined for isolated
>> dwellings in your country, use place=isolated_dwelling.". Ah okay. If it is
>> isolated, use "isolated_dwelling". And if it is part of an hamlet, village,
>> town, why the hell are you using a key place to name the landuse=farmland ?
>> why not simply the tag "name=*" ? If it is a manufactory, not a farm, do you
>> tag it landuse=industrial + place=manufactory ? I don't understand. It's
>> probably too simple.

I suspect place=farm is used because people want to be able to tag a
farm as a *feature*, not just as the use of an area of land. I agree
that place=* is probably inappropriate for this.