[OSM-talk] Questions regarding the mapping of hiking trails

Sami Dalouche skoobi at free.fr
Sun May 30 01:49:27 BST 2010

Hi,

I've started contributing hiking data in the ADK, NY.
However, I have a few questions :

Let's take the following area, for instance :
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=44.1458988189697&lon=-73.9613342285156&zoom=13

1/ There is a trail called "Van Hoevenberg Trail". Am I supposed to add
a name="Van Hoevenberg property", or name="Van Hoevenberg Trail" one ?

2/ Now, let's say that Van hoevenberg trail were continuing after the
intersection. Would I be supposed to just repeat the name="Van
Hoevenberg Trail" property, or am I supposed to do something smarter ?
I read stuff about "relations", but I am unsure on whether this applies
to this...

3/ Anything else to suggest ?

thanks !
Sami Dalouche