[OSM-talk] highway=ford vs ford=yes

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Mon Nov 1 18:42:11 GMT 2010

On 24/10/2010 20:02, Gorm E. Johnsen wrote:
> There are now few, if any, ways with highway=ford left.
> They have all been changed to highway=<whatever the connecting ways are>
> + ford=yes <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:ford>.
>
> Any suggestions on what to do with the 4800 nodes also tagged with
> highway=ford?
> Change them to ford=yes all in one go as well?

It would be helpful to follow the usual tag proposal process to
deprecate highway=ford, and replace it with ford=yes.

Then you should update any editors or renderers or other applications to
support this.

Then, after this, you could consider making bulk changes.

I do agree that replacing highway=ford with ford=yes is a good idea,
though it should be done properly, and not breaking existing applications.