[OSM-talk] highway=ford vs ford=yes

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 19:22:23 GMT 2010

2010/11/1 Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk>:

>> I do agree that replacing highway=ford with ford=yes is a good idea,
>> though it should be done properly, and not breaking existing applications.
>
> As long as the DISTANCE of the water area of the ford can be handled by this
> change then it may be acceptable, but simply tagging a node is not the right
> way to provide ALL of the information that would be useful when it comes to
> micro-mapping the details?

if it's about a ford in a stream which is tagged say width=0.7, which
other information would you get from a way for the ford instead of a
node?

Wouldn't hydrants (or public telephones, etc.) be better mapped as
areas when it comes to micro-mapping ;-) ? There is no "node" in real
world, still many objects are better (or almost equally) represented
by a node instead of by an area.

cheers,
Martin