[OSM-talk] Historical Data in OSM database

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Tue Nov 9 10:57:43 GMT 2010

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> All these things could be fixed with time if there was sufficient
> interest but it will require a lot of work and perseverance.
>
> For now, I suggest that you keep your separate database. You can link
> your objects to OSM objects by their ID if you want, and process the
> daily change files to be alerted of changes in the objects of interest
> to you.

So you are advocating that we all create our own private versions of OSM with
our own data in them?
I see another reason for a split and a new version of the database just for
users who ARE looking for historic data :) Perhaps under yet another licence ;)

The tags to handle historic mapping have been around long enough to be
practically used. We just need people to start using them and understand why
some of the information MAY actually be useful even on current maps. Any
software accessing the data should already be taking note of the star_date and
end_date anyway ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL