[OSM-talk] Historical Data in OSM database

Pierre-Alain Dorange pdorange at mac.com
Wed Nov 10 13:07:17 GMT 2010

Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com> wrote:

> >As I said ... adding the dates on which the new roads appeared around the
> >Olypmic village, or a new motorway spur or residential road was opened
> >will be history in 100 years time but costs nothing to add today?
>
> When something exists today, it would be nice to add the date it was
> constructed. start_date would not be my ideal tag name, but it works.
>
> However I don't think it makes as much sense to add an object that doesn't
> exist today.

I'm on the same "philosophy", i try to put start_date (when i know the
data) every time it's possible. Tag name is not very important. Lot of
discussion and "fight" occured around tagname, but consistency is more
important, when a tag existe for a feature it was not a good idea trying
to change it with a new tag.

Adding old object has no sense in the current OSM project, as it has
beeen explain lot of tools used OSM and it would require to update all
tools and that's impossible.

It would be a nice feature for historical purpuse and perhaps lot of
people would contribute but i thing it would be better to made this
another project that could use OSM has background map and also some OSM
softwares and data.
It would be a nice "brother" project and would be happy to contribute.

--
Pierre-Alain Dorange
OSM experiences : <http://www.leretourdelautruche.com/map/>