[OSM-talk] Historical Data in OSM database

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Fri Nov 12 11:28:04 GMT 2010

Am 12.11.2010 12:00, schrieb M∡rtin Koppenhoefer:
> 2010/11/11<john at jfeldredge.com>:
>> It would be more logical to have the date construction started be start_date, and the date construction completed be completed_date.  Having the completion date tagged as start_date doesn't make sense.
> I disagree, because start_date is the beginning of the tagged feature,
> this is IMHO not the date when someone first thought about it, or the
> plan got approved or the construction started but it is the date when
> the feature was actually there as it is now.
partly disagree.
If I tag a construction site, I can add start_date - describing "start
of construction". If the building is finished, it's no construction site
any more, but the osm object may be the same one; re-tagged as
building=yes without construction and start_date describing the date the
building is finished "as it is now".

start_date, as you see in this example, is a generic tag, like e.g.
width is.
Refinements like start_date:construction, start_date:usage;
start_date:planning; start_date:disusage; start_date:abandonment are
possible - but start_date should not be used to be one of these.

regards
Peter