[OSM-talk] license change map

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Fri Nov 12 22:52:08 GMT 2010

On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 10:54 +0000, Ed Avis wrote:
> David Murn <davey <at> incanberra.com.au> writes:
>
> >From looking at a few different cities in this map, it is quite telling
> >what areas support the licence and which areas will be devastated by the
> >data loss.
>
> Please.  _Would_ be devastated by data loss, if someone decided to delete all
> that data.

People keep bringing up this issue that its only a matter of time until
contributors agree to the terms.  If 100% of people agreed to the terms,
surely that means that some are agreeing, who have uploaded licenced
data.  So, in other words, part of the question as part of the licence
acceptance, is that you arent agreeing to relicence anyone elses works,
only your own.

As an individual, you dont have the right to change the licence of data
that youve imported previously, just the same way that (hopefully)
no-one has the right to change the licence of data theyve extracted from
OSM, to suit their own needs.  Re-writing CTs or your own licence,
doesnt in any way give you any rights over someone elses work, in the
same way that Id hope someone cant just write up some terms they decide,
then import the OSM data, re-licence under their terms, and
re-distribute.

The outcome of this, since we already know that a number of major
sources do NOT agree to the terms, is that either the data will either
be deleted or alternatively, it will be re-licenced without the original
licence-holders permission, which either leaves OSM deprived of data, or
leaves the legal usage of such data, up-in-the-air just like every other
mapping service with unusable data because of so many different data
owners.

David