[OSM-talk] [talk] New site about the license change

Tue Nov 16 10:45:52 GMT 2010

[follow-ups to legal-talk, where this thread really should have started]

Kevin Peat wrote:
> Personally I don't care if the current license is weak as most
> organisations will respect its spirit and if a few don't who cares,
> it doesn't devalue our efforts one cent. I can't see how changing
> to an unproven license can possibly be worth fragmenting the
> project.

There'll be some fragmentation whatever happens. I've no doubt that,
as you suggest, some people will leave if OSM moves to ODbL.
Conversely, if OSM resolved to stick with CC-BY-SA then I'd leave as
would several others. There is no "let's just carry on as at present"
option.

Richard