[OSM-talk] So how *do* you get GPS waypoints into OSM?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 13:18:38 GMT 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 11:40 PM, Jukka Rahkonen
<jukka.rahkonen at latuviitta.fi> wrote:
> You can upload waypoints with GPX file, but only if the same GPX file has at
> least one formally valid track. Formally valid means that the track has
> timestamps. You can add a fake track into your GPX waypoint file by hand with
> some text editor and then it will be possible to upload it. Once it is on the
> server you can continue with selecting "Edit" from the list of traces and do the
> rest with Potlatch.

Ok, well, I've just had a go at this, and it didn't work for me. The
track came through, but no waypoints. Maybe I got something wrong in
the .gpx.

> The reason for not accepting GPX with just waypoints is obviously that
> timestamps are wanted as an evidence to prove that OSM mappers have been on
> place instead of copying waypoint lists from the web. I do not know how
> effective it is in preventing this.

Was this a real problem? Seems like a case of cutting off your nose to
spite your face. A pretty common use case (get waypoints. upload
waypoint file.) is being deliberately unsupported to prevent one of
many possible forms of vandalism/copyright infringement. Maybe if
there was some kind of "trusted" flag, who knows.

Anyway, that's a real pity.

Next option - is there someone here who could do this for me? I have
about 10 or so waypoint files. Maybe some brilliant JOSM user can show
me how it's done.

Steve