[OSM-talk] Steve Coast Joins Microsoft as Principle Architect of Bing Mobile

davespod osmlists at dellams.fastmail.fm
Wed Nov 24 20:14:59 GMT 2010

Richard Weait wrote:

> http://opengeodata.org/openstreetmap-founder-steve-coast-joins-bing

> http://blog.stevecoast.com/im-working-at-microsoft-and-were-donating-ima

Congratulations to Steve!

I really hope the announcement about the imagery is as fantastic as it
sounds, i.e. that we will be able to trace all of the aerial imagery
available on the Bing maps site. They must have a lot of third party
copyright considerations to deal with.

For example, the hi-res imagery on Bing for the UK seems to be from
Getmapping plc. Getmapping have their own partially crowdsourced map for the
UK, traced from their aerial imagery (peoplesmap.com), and which they aim to
make money from (via proprietary licensing). I wonder whether Microsoft's
existing licence would allow them to sublicense us for the purpose of
tracing and, if not whether Getmapping would be willing to sell MS such a
licence (and whether MS would be willing to buy it!). Here's hoping!

David (davespod)