[OSM-talk] Suggestion for an Unconference

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Nov 24 23:11:38 GMT 2010

Ed,

Ed Avis wrote:
> Well, since there is a licence discussion anyway, how about it?  What would
> Microsoft and others like to see from OSM's licence?  It would be great to have
> some concrete preferences from the most important users.

1. Speak for yourself; the "most important users" for me are those for
whom we open up entirely new possibilities. I'm glad to see big players
join the band but they all had their map data before - whereas OSM has
helped a lot of people acquire map data, and maps, who didn't have
anything like it. Those I consider most important.

2. The license train has left the station. We've been at this for ages
and there is no viable alternative. We will certainly not throw away
years of deliberations just because a handful of US corporations asked
us to (and imagine the outcry among mappers if we were to do that).

3. In case you want to go into any kind of detail about the license,
legal-talk ist that way --->.

Bye
Frederik