[OSM-talk] Suggestion for an Unconference

Mike N. niceman at att.net
Fri Nov 26 23:06:27 GMT 2010

>>Speaking personally about what large orgs and what they want, I think it's
>>pretty simple. Have a look at commercial data and OSM and do a diff, what
>>are
>>the main things missing?  Addressing for geocoding and turn restrictions
>>for
>>routing.
>
> For addressing, I guess it is usually sufficient to have a street name -
> the
> exact addr:housenumber stuff is not needed I assume?

   On the contrary, any use in a serious navigation system fails to meet
user expectation if not using accurate addr:housenumber.   The #1 or #2
complaint in Skobbler's free US Smartphone navigation app is that the
location is .25 mile, 9 houses, or  1/2 block from the real location.  It is
extremely useful and impressive to be delivered to the exact street address.

   I would be surprised if there is any realistic way to crowdsource 99% of
addr:housenumber in the US.   It's mindnumbing work, dangerous in some areas
where pedestrians and bikes are not safe.