[OSM-talk] Suggestion for an Unconference

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 23:28:39 GMT 2010

Certainly in Canada we have been having licensing issues with some levels of
government to be able to include their data in OSM.  Part of the problem is
the open ended nature of the new license, the bit where OSM says Oh and we
can change the data license to anything we want to in the future.  On a
practical level it makes explaining what we'd like from them very difficult
indeed and I can sympathize with their point of view.

I'd say that part of the new license creates too much uncertainty to be
practical and makes working with others or importing very difficult which I
suspect it was deliberately designed to do.  In some parts of the world such
as Germany and the UK there are enough mappers on the ground so that imports
are not so valuable.  Even here the UK has done a very nice job importing
bus tops, it sounds mundane but to some map users knowing where the bus
stops are is important, especially the old fogies with free bus passes.

Cheerio John